Tuesday, February 4, 2014

January 31, 2014 – Ordinary Time between Epiphany and Lent – Lectionary Year 2



Psalter

Morning

Psalm 40 – The Voice

For the worship leader. A song of David.

I waited a long time for the Eternal;
    
He finally knelt down to hear me.
    
He listened to my weak and whispered cry.
He reached down and drew me
    
from the deep, dark hole where I was stranded, mired in the muck and clay.
    
With a gentle hand, He pulled me out
To set me down safely on a warm rock;
    
He held me until I was steady enough to continue the journey again.
As if that were not enough,
    
because of Him my mind is clearing up.
Now I have a new song to sing—
    
a song of praise to the One who saved me.
Because of what He’s done, many people will see
    
and come to trust in the Eternal.
Surely those who trust the Eternal—
    
who don’t trust in proud, powerful people
Or in people who care little for reality, chasing false gods—
    
surely they are happy, as I have become.
You have done so many wonderful things,
    
had so many tender thoughts toward us, Eternal my God,
    
that go on and on, ever increasing.
Who can compare with You?
Sacrifices and offerings are not what You want,
    
but You’ve opened my ears,[a] and now I understand.
Burnt offerings and sin offerings
    
are not what please You.
So I said, “See, I have come to do Your will,
    
as it is inscribed of me in the scroll.
I am pleased to live how You want, my God.
    
Your law is etched into my heart and my soul.”
I have encouraged Your people with the message of righteousness,
    
in Your great assembly (look and see),
I haven’t kept quiet about these things;
    
You know this, Eternal One.
10 I have not kept Your righteousness to myself, sealed up in the secret places of my heart;
    
instead, I boldly tell others how You save and how loyal You are.
I haven’t been shy to talk about Your love, nor have I been afraid to tell Your truth
    
before the great assembly of Your people.
11 Please, Eternal One, don’t hold back
    
Your kind ways from me.
I need Your strong love and truth
    
to stand watch over me and keep me from harm.
12 Right now I can’t see because I am surrounded by troubles;
    
my sins and shortcomings have caught up to me,
    
so I am swimming in darkness.
Like the hairs on my head, there are too many to count,
    
so my heart deserts me.
13 O Eternal One, please rescue me.
    
O Eternal One, hurry; I need Your help.
14 May those who are trying to destroy me
    
be humiliated and ashamed instead;
May those who want to ruin my reputation
    
be cut off and embarrassed.
15 May those who try to catch me off guard,
    
those who look at me and say, “Aha, we’ve trapped you,
    
be caught in their own shame instead.
16 But may all who look for You
    
discover true joy and happiness in You;
May those who cherish how You save them
    
always say, “O Eternal One, You are great and are first in our hearts.”
17 Meanwhile, I am empty and need so much,
    
but I know the Lord is thinking of me.
You are my help; only You can save me, my True God.
    
Please hurry.

Footnotes:

  1. 40:6 Greek manuscripts read, “but You have prepared a body for me.”
 * * * *

Псалтирь 40

Psalm 40 -- Russian Slovo Zhizny

(Пс. 69)

Дирижеру хора. Псалом Давида.
Твердо надеялся я на Господа,
    и Он склонился ко мне и услышал мой крик.
Он поднял меня из страшной пропасти,
    из зыбкой трясины.
Он поставил ноги мои на камень
    и стопы мои утвердил.
Он вложил мне в уста новую песнь –
    хвалу нашему Богу.
Увидят многие и устрашатся,
    и будут на Господа уповать.
Блажен тот человек,
    кто надежду свою возлагает на Господа,
кто не обращается к гордым
    и к уклоняющимся ко лжи.
Многочисленны, Господи, мой Бог,
    чудеса, которые Ты сотворил,
и замыслы Твои о нас!
    Кто с Тобою сравнится!
Я бы стал возвещать о них и рассказывать,
    но их больше, чем можно счесть.
Не захотел Ты ни жертв, ни даров,
    но Ты открыл[a] мне уши[b].
Ты не потребовал ни всесожжения,
    ни жертвы за грех.
Тогда я сказал: «Вот, я иду,
    как и написано в свитке обо мне.
Бог мой, я желаю волю Твою исполнить,
    и в сердце моем Твой Закон».
10 В большом собрании я возвещал Твою праведность;
    я не удерживал своих уст –
Ты это знаешь, Господи.
11 Я не скрыл Твоей праведности в своем сердце,
    но возвещал верность Твою и спасение.
Я не таил Твою милость и истину
    перед большим собранием.
12 Не удерживай, Господи,
    щедрот Твоих от меня,
пусть милость Твоя и истина
    охраняют меня непрестанно.
13 Ведь беды окружили, и нет им числа;
    грехи мои мной овладели, и не могу я видеть.
Их больше, чем волос на моей голове;
    храбрость[c] меня оставила.
14 Господи, да будет угодно Тебе избавить меня!
    Поспеши мне на помощь, Господи!
15 Пусть все, кто ищет жизни моей,
    будут пристыжены и посрамлены.
Пусть все, кто хочет моей погибели,
    в бесчестии повернут назад.
16 Пусть ужаснутся своему позору
    говорящие мне: «Ага! Ага!»
17 Пусть ликуют и радуются о Тебе
    все ищущие Тебя.
Пусть те, кто любит Твое спасение,
    говорят непрестанно: «Велик Господь!»
18 Я же беден и нищ,
    пусть Владыка позаботится обо мне.
Ты – помощь моя и мой избавитель.
    Бог мой, не замедли!

Footnotes:

  1. Псалтирь 39:7 Или: «проколол». Ср. Исх. 21:5-6.
  2. Псалтирь 39:7 В одном из древних переводов: «Ты приготовил мне тело».
  3. Псалтирь 39:13 Букв.: «сердце мое».

Psalm 54 – The Voice

For the worship leader. A contemplative song[a] of David when his friends, the Ziphites, betrayed him to Saul. Accompanied by strings.

This is a lament reflecting the time when David was betrayed to Saul (1 Samuel 23:6–29). It expresses hope that God will save by His name. The name refers to the covenant name given to Moses at Mount Sinai (Exodus 3). We have translated it “the Eternal One.” For the ancients the name of God has power precisely because it embodies the presence of God. To call upon the name was to call upon God to remember His covenant promises and be present in power in order to rescue His people.

Liberate me, O God, by the authority of Your name.
    
Vindicate me through Your legendary power.
Hear my prayer, O God;
    
let the words of my mouth reach Your sympathetic ear.
The truth is, these strangers are rallying against me;
    
cold-blooded men seek to slay me;
    
they have no respect for You.

[pause][b]

But see now! God comes to rescue me;
    
the Lord is my valiant supporter.
He will repay my enemies for the harm they have done; they are doomed!
    
According to Your faithful promises, silence them.
I will sacrifice to You willingly;
    
I will lift Your name by shouts of thanksgiving, O Eternal One, for Your name is good.
God has pulled me out from every one of the troubles that encompass me,
    
and I have seen what it means to stand over my enemies in triumph.

Footnotes:

  1. 54:title Hebrew, maskil
  2. 54:3 Literally, selah, likely a musical direction from a Hebrew root meaning “to lift up”
 * * * *

Псалтирь 54

Psalm 54 -- Russian Slovo Zhixny

Дирижеру хора. На струнных инструментах. Наставление Давида,
когда зифиты пришли и сказали Саулу:
    «У нас скрывается Давид»[a].
Боже, спаси меня Своим Именем;
    оправдай меня Своей силой!
Боже, услышь молитву мою;
    внемли словам моих уст!
Чужие восстали против меня,
    беспощадные ищут жизни моей –
те, кто о Боге не думает.Пауза
Но воистину, Бог мне помощник;
    Владыка меня укрепляет[b].
Он воздаст врагам моим за зло,
    погубит их ради Своей верности.
Я добровольно принесу Тебе жертву.
    Я буду славить Имя Твое, Господь,
потому что оно прекрасно.
Ведь Ты уберег меня от всех бед,
    и я победно смотрел на врагов.

Footnotes:

  1. Псалтирь 53:2 См. 1 Цар. 23:19-28; 26:1-2.
  2. Псалтирь 53:6 Так в некоторых древних переводах; букв.: «из тех, кто меня укрепляет» или «с теми, кто меня укрепляет».

Evening

Psalm 51 – The Voice

For the worship leader. A song of David after Nathan the prophet accused him of infidelity with Bathsheba.

One of the most difficult episodes in King David’s life was his affair with Bathsheba and all that resulted from it. Psalm 51 reflects the emotions he felt after Nathan confronted him with stealing Bathsheba and murdering her husband, Uriah (2 Samuel 11–12).
At one time or another, all people experience the painful consequences of sin. Psalm 51 has been a comfort and a help to millions who have prayed these words as their own. It invites all who are broken to come before God and lean upon His compassion. It teaches that we need not only to be forgiven for the wrong we have done, but we also need to be cleansed of its effects on us. Ultimately, it helps us recognize that if we are to be healed, it is the work of God to create in us a heart that is clean and a spirit that is strong.

Look on me with a heart of mercy, O God,
    according to Your generous love.
According to Your great compassion,
    wipe out every consequence of my shameful crimes.
 

Thoroughly wash me, inside and out, of all my crooked deeds.
    Cleanse me from my sins.

For I am fully aware of all I have done wrong,
    and my guilt is there, staring me in the face.
 

It was against You, only You, that I sinned,
    for I have done what You say is wrong, right before Your eyes.
So when You speak, You are in the right.
    When You judge, Your judgments are pure and true.[a]

For I was guilty from the day I was born,

    a sinner from the time my mother became pregnant with me.

But still, You long to enthrone truth throughout my being;
    in unseen places deep within me, You show me wisdom.
 

Cleanse me of my wickedness with hyssop, and I will be clean.
    If You wash me, I will be whiter than snow.

Help me hear joy and happiness as my accompaniment,
    so my bones, which You have broken, will dance in delight instead.

Cover Your face so You will not see my sins,
    and erase my guilt from the record.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God;
    restore within me a sense of being brand new.
 

11 Do not throw me far away from Your presence,
    and do not remove Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Give back to me the deep delight of being saved by You;
    let Your willing Spirit sustain me.
13 If You do, I promise to teach rebels Your ways
    and help sinners find their way back to You.
 

14 Free me from the guilt of murder, of shedding a man’s blood,
    O God who saves me.
    Now my tongue, which was used to destroy, will be used to sing with deep delight of how right and just You are.

15 O Lord, pry open my lips
    that this mouth will sing joyfully of Your greatness.
16 I would surrender my dearest possessions or destroy all that I prize to prove my regret,

    but You don’t take pleasure in sacrifices or burnt offerings.
17 What sacrifice I can offer You is my broken spirit
    because a broken spirit, O God,
    a heart that honestly regrets the past,
You won’t detest.

18 Be good to Zion; grant her Your favor.
    Make Jerusalem’s walls steady and strong.
19 Then there will be sacrifices made,

    burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings,
With right motives that will delight You.
    And costly young bulls will be offered up to Your altar, only the best.

Footnotes:

  1. 51:4 Romans 3:4
 * * * *

Псалтирь 51

Psalm 51 -- Russian Slovo Zhizny

_Дирижеру хора. Псалом Давида,
когда пророк Нафан пришел к нему,
    после того, как Давид согрешил с Вирсавией[a],

Боже, помилуй меня
    по Своей милости,
по великой Своей любви
    изгладь мои беззакония.
Омой меня от неправды
    и от греха очисти,
потому что я сознаю свои беззакония,
    и грех мой всегда предо мной.
Против Тебя Одного я согрешил
    и в Твоих глазах сделал зло.
Ты справедлив в Своем приговоре
    и безупречен в суде Своем.
Вот, грешником я родился,
    грешным зачала меня моя мать.
Но Ты желаешь истины, сокрытой в сердце,
    так наполни меня Своей мудростью.
Очисти меня иссопом[b], и буду чист;
    омой меня, и стану белее снега.
10 Дай мне услышать веселье и радость;
    пусть порадуются кости, Тобой сокрушенные.
11 Отврати лицо от моих грехов
    и неправду мою изгладь.
12 Сотвори во мне чистое сердце, Боже,
    и обнови во мне правый дух.
13 Не отвергни меня от Себя
    и не лиши меня Твоего Святого Духа.
14 Верни мне радость Твоего спасения
    и Духом владычественным поддержи меня
15 Тогда я научу нечестивых Твоим путям,
    и грешники к Тебе обратятся.
16 Боже, избавь меня от кровопролития,
    Боже моего спасения,
и язык мой восхвалит праведность Твою.
17 Открой мне уста, Владыка,
    и они Тебя возвеличат.
18 Жертва Тебе неугодна – я дал бы ее,
    всесожжения Ты не желаешь.
19 Жертва Богу – дух сокрушенный;
    сокрушенное и скорбящее сердце, Боже,
Ты не пренебрежешь.
20 Сотвори Сиону добро по Своей благосклонности;
    заново возведи стены Иерусалима.
21 Тогда будут угодны Тебе предписанные жертвы,
возношения и всесожжения;
тогда приведут быков к Твоему жертвеннику.

Footnotes:

  1. Псалтирь 50:2 См. 2 Цар. 11:1 – 12:23.
  2. Псалтирь 50:9 Иссоп – по всей вероятности, один из видов майорана, распространенный в Израиле. Это растение использовалось священниками для кропления (см. Лев. 14:4-7; Чис. 19:18) и было символом очищения от греха в иудейской культуре.

Genesis 17:15-27 – The Voice

(continuing to Abraham) As for Sarai, your wife, the covenant applies to her as well. No longer will she be known as Sarai; her new name will be Sarah. 16 She will receive My special blessing, and she will conceive a son by you. With My blessing on her, she will become the founding princess of nations to come. Kings of many peoples will be counted among her children.
The Scriptures tell us that names matter. What we call people and places often describes and defines them in ways other kinds of words do not. People’s names may recall the circumstances of their birth or reflect their character or perhaps depict their destiny. God changes Abram’s name to Abraham to signify that he will become the founding father of many nations. The change in Sarah’s name is a bit more complicated because both “Sarai” and “Sarah” mean “princess.” Still the name “Sarah” becomes her covenant-name, the name by which generations know her. As the wife of Abraham’s youth and old age, Sarah is destined to become the founding princess of many nations, a royal mother to many kings.
17 Then Abraham fell on his face and erupted into laughter in a moment of private absurdity, as he thought to himself, “Yeah, right! How can a centenarian father a child? Am I supposed to believe that Sarah, my 90-year-old wife, is going to have a baby?”

Abraham (to God): 18 There’s Ishmael of course. May my son Ishmael be blessed and live a long life beneath Your watchful eye.

Eternal One: 19 No, Abraham. I mean what I am telling you. Your wife Sarah will certainly become pregnant and bear a son. I want you to name him Isaac. I will continue to establish My covenant with him; through his line My covenant will last forever. 20 As for Ishmael, I have heard your prayers for him! Look, he is your son too. I will bless him as well and make his lineage fruitful. His descendants will also be of a huge number. In fact, he will be the father of 12 princes. I will make sure that a great nation arises from his descendants as well. 21 But My special covenant—this I will establish with Isaac. Sarah is going to give birth to him at this very time next year.

22 When God was finished talking with Abraham about all of this, He left and Abraham went home. 23 Abraham immediately took his son Ishmael and all of the slaves born in his household or bought with his money—every single male within his household—and circumcised the flesh of their foreskins on that very day, just as God had told him to do. 24 Abraham was already 99 years old when he was circumcised. 25 His son Ishmael was 13 years old when he received the mark of the covenant.  
26 On the day Abraham and Ishmael were circumcised, 27 all men of the household, no matter where they had come from, were circumcised along with them.

 * * * *
Genesis 17:15-27 -- Russian Slovo Zhizny
 И сказал Бог Аврааму: Сару, жену твою, не называй Сарою, но да будет имя ей: Сарра;

16 Я благословлю ее и дам тебе от нее сына; благословлю ее, и произойдут от нее народы, и цари народов произойдут от нее.

17 И пал Авраам на лице свое, и рассмеялся, и сказал сам в себе: неужели от столетнего будет сын? и Сарра, девяностолетняя, неужели родит?

18 И сказал Авраам Богу: о, хотя бы Измаил был жив пред лицем Твоим!

19 Бог же сказал: именно Сарра, жена твоя, родит тебе сына, и ты наречешь ему имя: Исаак; и поставлю завет Мой с ним заветом вечным [и] потомству его после него.

20 И о Измаиле Я услышал тебя: вот, Я благословлю его, и возращу его, и весьма, весьма размножу; двенадцать князей родятся от него; и Я произведу от него великий народ.

21 Но завет Мой поставлю с Исааком, которого родит тебе Сарра в сие самое время на другой год.

22 И Бог перестал говорить с Авраамом и восшел от него.

23 И взял Авраам Измаила, сына своего, и всех рожденных в доме своем и всех купленных за серебро свое, весь мужеский пол людей дома Авраамова; и обрезал крайнюю плоть их в тот самый день, как сказал ему Бог.

24 Авраам был девяноста девяти лет, когда была обрезана крайняя плоть его.

25 А Измаил, сын его, был тринадцати лет, когда была обрезана крайняя плоть его.

26 В тот же самый день обрезаны были Авраам и Измаил, сын его,
 27 и с ним обрезан был весь мужеский пол дома его, рожденные в доме и купленные за серебро у иноплеменников.
____

Epistle

Hebrews 10:11-25 – The Voice

 In the first covenant, every day every officiating priest stands at his post serving, offering over and over those same sacrifices that can never take away sin. 12 But after He stepped up to offer His single sacrifice for sins for all time, He sat down in the position of honor at the right hand of God. 13 Since then, He has been waiting for the day when He rests His feet on His enemies’ backs,[a] as the psalm says. 14 With one perfect offering, Jesus has perfected forever those who are being made holy, 15 as the Holy Spirit keeps testifying to us through the prophet Jeremiah. After he says,

16 “But when those days are over,” says the Eternal One, “I will make
    
this kind of covenant with the people of Israel:
I will put My laws in their hearts
    
and write them upon their minds,”[b]
then He adds,

17 I will erase their sins and wicked acts out of My memory
    
as though they had never existed.[c]

18 When there is forgiveness such as this, there is no longer any need to make an offering for sin.

19 So, my friends, Jesus by His blood gives us courage to enter the most holy place. 20 He has created for us a new and living way through the curtain, that is, through His flesh. 21 Since we have a great High Priest who presides over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with true hearts full of faith, with hearts rinsed clean of any evil conscience, and with bodies cleansed with pure water.  

23 Let us hold strong to the confession of our hope, never wavering, since the One who promised it to us is faithful. 24 Let us consider how to inspire each other to greater love and to righteous deeds, 25 not forgetting to gather as a community, as some have forgotten, but encouraging each other, especially as the day of His return approaches.

Footnotes:

  1. 10:13 Psalm 110:1
  2. 10:16 Jeremiah 31:33
  3. 10:17 Jeremiah 31:34
 * * * *

Hebrews 10:11-25 -- Russian Slovo Zhizny

 И всякий священник ежедневно стоит в служении, и многократно приносит одни и те же жертвы, которые никогда не могут истребить грехов.

12 Он же, принеся одну жертву за грехи, навсегда воссел одесную Бога,
 13 ожидая затем, доколе враги Его будут положены в подножие ног Его.

14 Ибо Он одним приношением навсегда сделал совершенными освящаемых.

15 [О сем] свидетельствует нам и Дух Святый; ибо сказано:

16 Вот завет, который завещаю им после тех дней, говорит Господь: вложу законы Мои в сердца их, и в мыслях их напишу их,
17 и грехов их и беззаконий их не воспомяну более.

18 А где прощение грехов, там не нужно приношение за них.

19 Итак, братия, имея дерзновение входить во святилище посредством Крови Иисуса Христа, путем новым и живым,
20 который Он вновь открыл нам через завесу, то есть плоть Свою,
21 и [имея] великого Священника над домом Божиим,
22 да приступаем с искренним сердцем, с полною верою, кроплением очистив сердца от порочной совести, и омыв тело водою чистою,
23 будем держаться исповедания упования неуклонно, ибо верен Обещавший.

24 Будем внимательны друг ко другу, поощряя к любви и добрым делам.

25 Не будем оставлять собрания своего, как есть у некоторых обычай; но будем увещевать [друг друга], и тем более, чем более усматриваете приближение дня оного.

____

Gospel

John 6:1-15 – The Voice

Once this had transpired, Jesus made His way to the other side of the Sea of Galilee (which some these days call the Sea of Tiberias). As Jesus walked, a large crowd pursued Him hoping to see new signs and miracles; His healings of the sick and lame were garnering great attention. Jesus went up a mountain and found a place to sit down and teach. His disciples gathered around. The celebration of the Passover, one of the principal Jewish feasts, would take place soon. But when Jesus looked up, He could see an immense crowd coming toward Him. Jesus approached Philip.

Jesus (to Philip): Where is a place to buy bread so these people may eat?
Jesus knew what He was planning to do, but He asked Philip nonetheless. He had something to teach, and it started with a test.

Philip: I could work for more than half of a year[a] and still not have the money to buy enough bread to give each person a very small piece.
Andrew, the disciple who was Simon Peter’s brother, spoke up.

Andrew: I met a young boy in the crowd carrying five barley loaves and two fish, but that is practically useless in feeding a crowd this large.

Jesus: 10 Tell the people to sit down.
They all sat together on a large grassy area. Those counting the people reported approximately 5,000 men—not including the women and children—sitting in the crowd. 11 Jesus picked up the bread, gave thanks to God, and passed it to everyone. He repeated this ritual with the fish. Men, women, and children all ate until their hearts were content. 12 When the people had all they could eat, He told the disciples to gather the leftovers.

Jesus: Go and collect the leftovers, so we are not wasteful.
13 They filled 12 baskets with fragments of the five barley loaves. 14 After witnessing this sign that Jesus did, the people stirred in conversation.

Crowd: This man must be the Prophet God said was coming into the world.
15 Jesus sensed the people were planning to mount a revolution against Israel’s Roman occupiers and make Him king, so He withdrew farther up the mountain by Himself.

Footnotes:

  1. 6:7 Literally, 200 denarii

* * * *

John 6:1-15 -- Russian Slovo Zhizny

После сего пошел Иисус на ту сторону моря Галилейского, [в] [окрестности] Тивериады.

2 За Ним последовало множество народа, потому что видели чудеса, которые Он творил над больными.

3 Иисус взошел на гору и там сидел с учениками Своими.

4 Приближалась же Пасха, праздник Иудейский.

5 Иисус, возведя очи и увидев, что множество народа идет к Нему, говорит Филиппу: где нам купить хлебов, чтобы их накормить?

6 Говорил же это, испытывая его; ибо Сам знал, что хотел сделать.

7 Филипп отвечал Ему: им на двести динариев не довольно будет хлеба, чтобы каждому из них досталось хотя понемногу.

8 Один из учеников Его, Андрей, брат Симона Петра, говорит Ему:
9 здесь есть у одного мальчика пять хлебов ячменных и две рыбки; но что это для такого множества?

10 Иисус сказал: велите им возлечь. Было же на том месте много травы. Итак возлегло людей числом около пяти тысяч.

11 Иисус, взяв хлебы и воздав благодарение, роздал ученикам, а ученики возлежавшим, также и рыбы, сколько кто хотел.

12 И когда насытились, то сказал ученикам Своим: соберите оставшиеся куски, чтобы ничего не пропало.

13 И собрали, и наполнили двенадцать коробов кусками от пяти ячменных хлебов, оставшимися у тех, которые ели.

14 Тогда люди, видевшие чудо, сотворенное Иисусом, сказали: это истинно Тот Пророк, Которому должно придти в мир.

15 Иисус же, узнав, что хотят придти, нечаянно взять его и сделать царем, опять удалился на гору один.

John 6:1-15 -- Russian Synodal Version






No comments:

Post a Comment