Monday, February 3, 2014

January 22, 2014 – Ordinary Time between Epiphany and Lent – Lectionary Year 2



Psalter

Morning

Psalm 38 – The Voice

A song of David for remembering.

This is one of a group of psalms known in later tradition as the penitential psalms, namely, psalms that confess sins and express confidence in God’s mercy. In this psalm a serious illness threatens the life of the worshiper.

O Eternal One, please do not scold me in Your anger;
    
though Your wrath is just, do not correct me in Your fury.
The arrows from Your bow have penetrated my flesh;
    
Your hand has come down hard on me.
Because Your anger has infected the depths of my being and stolen my health,
    
my flesh is ill.
My bones are no longer sound
    
because of all the sins I have committed.
My guilt has covered me; it’s more than I can handle;
    
this burden is too heavy for me to carry.
Now sores cover me—infected and putrid sores,
    
because of all the foolish things I have done.
I am bent down, cowering in fear, prostrate on the ground;
    
I spend the day in mourning, guilty tears stinging and burning my eyes.
My back aches. I’m full of fever;
    
my body is no longer whole, no longer well.
I am completely numb, totally spent, hopelessly crushed.
    
The agitation of my heart makes me groan.
O Lord, You know all my desires;
    
nothing escapes You; You hear my every moan.
10 My heart pounds against my chest; my vigor is completely drained;
    
my eyes were once bright, but now the brightness is all gone.
11 Even my friends and loved ones turn away when they see this marked man;
    
those closest to me are no longer close at all.
12 Those who want me dead lay traps upon my path;
    
those who desire my downfall threaten—my end is near—
    
they spend their days plotting against me.
13 Like one who is deaf, my ears do not hear.
    
Like one who is mute, my tongue cannot speak.
14 The truth is this: I am like one who cannot hear;
    
I cannot even protest against them.
15 Still I wait expectantly for You, O Eternal One—
    
knowing You will answer me in some way, O Lord, my True God.
16 I only asked, “When I stumble on the narrow path,
    
don’t let them boast or celebrate my failure.
17 I am prepared for what may come; my time must be short;
    
my pain and suffering a constant companion.
18 I confess, “I have sinned,”
    
and I regret the wrong I have done.
19 My enemies are alive and well,
    
they are powerful and on the increase,
    
and for no reason, they hate me.
20 When I do good, my opponents reward me with evil;
    
though I pursue what is right, they stand against me.
21 Eternal One, do not leave me to their mercy;
    
my True God, don’t be far from me when they are near.
22 I need Your help now—not later.
    
O Lord, be my Rescuer.

Psalm 38 -- The Voice

 * * * *

Псалтирь 38

Psalm 38 -- Russian Slovo Zhizny
(37-1) ^^Псалом Давида. В воспоминание^^. (37-2) Господи! не в ярости Твоей обличай меня и не во гневе Твоем наказывай меня,
2 (37-3) ибо стрелы Твои вонзились в меня, и рука Твоя тяготеет на мне.
3 (37-4) Нет целого места в плоти моей от гнева Твоего; нет мира в костях моих от грехов моих,
4 (37-5) ибо беззакония мои превысили голову мою, как тяжелое бремя отяготели на мне,
5 (37-6) смердят, гноятся раны мои от безумия моего.
6 (37-7) Я согбен и совсем поник, весь день сетуя хожу,
7 (37-8) ибо чресла мои полны воспалениями, и нет целого места в плоти моей.
8 (37-9) Я изнемог и сокрушен чрезмерно; кричу от терзания сердца моего.
9 (37-10) Господи! пред Тобою все желания мои, и воздыхание мое не сокрыто от Тебя.
10 (37-11) Сердце мое трепещет; оставила меня сила моя, и свет очей моих, --и того нет у меня.
11 (37-12) Друзья мои и искренние отступили от язвы моей, и ближние мои стоят вдали.
12 (37-13) Ищущие же души моей ставят сети, и желающие мне зла говорят о погибели [моей] и замышляют всякий день козни;
13 (37-14) а я, как глухой, не слышу, и как немой, который не открывает уст своих;
14 (37-15) и стал я, как человек, который не слышит и не имеет в устах своих ответа,
15 (37-16) ибо на Тебя, Господи, уповаю я; Ты услышишь, Господи, Боже мой.
16 (37-17) И я сказал: да не восторжествуют надо мною [враги мои]; когда колеблется нога моя, они величаются надо мною.
17 (37-18) Я близок к падению, и скорбь моя всегда предо мною.
18 (37-19) Беззаконие мое я сознаю, сокрушаюсь о грехе моем.
19 (37-20) А враги мои живут и укрепляются, и умножаются ненавидящие меня безвинно;
20 (37-21) и воздающие мне злом за добро враждуют против меня за то, что я следую добру.
21 (37-22) Не оставь меня, Господи, Боже мой! Не удаляйся от меня;
22 (37-23) поспеши на помощь мне, Господи, Спаситель мой!
 * * * *

Evening

Psalm 119:25-48 – The Voice

My very being clings to the dust;
    
preserve my life, in keeping with Your word.
26 I have admitted my ways are wrong, and You responded;
    
now help me learn what You require.
27 Compel me to grasp the way of Your statutes
    
so I will fix my mind on Your wonderful works.
28 My soul weeps, and trouble weighs me down;
    
give me strength so I can stand according to Your word.
29 Eliminate faithlessness You find in my step,
    
be gracious, and give me Your guidance.
30 I have decided to take the path of faith;
    
I have focused my eyes on Your regulations.
31 I cling to Your decrees; O Eternal One,
    
do not let me face disgrace!
32 I will chase after Your commandments
    
because You will expand my understanding.

He

33 O Eternal One, show me how to live according to Your statutes,
    
and I will keep them always.
34 Grant me understanding so that I can keep Your law
    
and keep it wholeheartedly.
35 Guide me to walk in the way You commanded
    
because I take joy in it.
36 Turn my head and my heart to Your decrees
    
and not to sinful gain.
37 Keep my eyes from gazing upon worthless things,
    
and give me true life according to Your plans.
38 Verify Your word to Your servant,
    
which will lead me to worship You.
39 Take away the scorn that I dread
    
because Your actions are just and good.
40 Look and see—I long for Your guidance;
    
restore me in Your righteousness.

Vav

41 May Your unfailing love find me, O Eternal One.
    
Keep Your promise, and save me;
42 When that happens, I will have a good response for anyone who taunts me
    
because I have faith in Your word.
43 Do not take Your message of truth from my mouth
    
because I wait and rely on Your just decisions.
44 Therefore I will follow Your teachings,
    
forever and ever.
45 And I will live a life of freedom
    
because I pursue Your precepts.
46 I will even testify of Your decrees before royalty
    
and will not be humiliated.
47 I will find my joy in Your commands,
    
which I love,
48 And I will raise my hands to Your commands, which I love,
    
and I will fix my mind on what You require.
 * * * *

Псалтирь 119:25-48

Psalm 119:25-48 -- Russian Slovo Zhizny
 
(118-25) Душа моя повержена в прах; оживи меня по слову Твоему.
26 (118-26) Объявил я пути мои, и Ты услышал меня; научи меня уставам Твоим.
27 (118-27) Дай мне уразуметь путь повелений Твоих, и буду размышлять о чудесах Твоих.
28 (118-28) Душа моя истаевает от скорби: укрепи меня по слову Твоему.
29 (118-29) Удали от меня путь лжи, и закон Твой даруй мне.
30 (118-30) Я избрал путь истины, поставил пред собою суды Твои.
31 (118-31) Я прилепился к откровениям Твоим, Господи; не постыди меня.
32 (118-32) Потеку путем заповедей Твоих, когда Ты расширишь сердце мое.
33 (118-33) Укажи мне, Господи, путь уставов Твоих, и я буду держаться его до конца.
34 (118-34) Вразуми меня, и буду соблюдать закон Твой и хранить его всем сердцем.
35 (118-35) Поставь меня на стезю заповедей Твоих, ибо я возжелал ее.
36 (118-36) Приклони сердце мое к откровениям Твоим, а не к корысти.
37 (118-37) Отврати очи мои, чтобы не видеть суеты; животвори меня на пути Твоем.
38 (118-38) Утверди слово Твое рабу Твоему, ради благоговения пред Тобою.
39 (118-39) Отврати поношение мое, которого я страшусь, ибо суды Твои благи.
40 (118-40) Вот, я возжелал повелений Твоих; животвори меня правдою Твоею.
41 (118-41) Да придут ко мне милости Твои, Господи, спасение Твое по слову Твоему, --
42 (118-42) и я дам ответ поносящему меня, ибо уповаю на слово Твое.
43 (118-43) Не отнимай совсем от уст моих слова истины, ибо я уповаю на суды Твои
44 (118-44) и буду хранить закон Твой всегда, во веки и веки;
45 (118-45) буду ходить свободно, ибо я взыскал повелений Твоих;
46 (118-46) буду говорить об откровениях Твоих пред царями и не постыжусь;
47 (118-47) буду утешаться заповедями Твоими, которые возлюбил;
48 (118-48) руки мои буду простирать к заповедям Твоим, которые возлюбил, и размышлять об уставах Твоих.
____

Hebrew Bible

Genesis 9:18-29 – The Voice

Now Noah’s sons who came out of the ark were Shem, Ham, and Japheth. (Ham, by the way, was the father of Canaan.) 19 Yes, these three, Noah’s sons, went on to populate the entire earth.

20 Now Noah became a farmer and decided to plant a vineyard. 21 One day he drank too much of the wine he had made and fell into a deep, drunken sleep in his tent. As he lay there stark naked, 22 Ham (the father of Canaan) peeked in and saw his father’s exposed body. After leaving the tent, he told his two brothers what he had seen. 23 So Shem and Japheth took a large cloak and laid it across their shoulders, and they walked backward into the tent. They never looked behind, as they covered their father’s nakedness. Out of respect, they purposely kept their faces turned away, so they wouldn’t see their father lying there naked. 24 When Noah regained consciousness and realized what his youngest son had done, 25 he uttered this curse:

Noah: A curse upon your son, Canaan!
        
May he become the lowest of servants to his brothers.
26     May the Eternal One, the God of Shem, be blessed,
        
and let Canaan be his slave!
27     May God make plenty of room for Japheth’s family
        
and give them homes among Shem’s tents.
        
And let Canaan be his slave also!

Noah’s words are not idle words. As the story unfolds, the importance of this curse becomes clear. But as the ancients knew, and we now have forgotten, words have power. It was with a word that God created the heavens above and the earth below. Now Noah’s words create a new reality, a harsh reality for Ham and his children.

28 From the time the flood was over, Noah lived another 350 years. 29 In all, Noah lived 950 years, and then he died.

 * * * *

Бытие 9:18-29

Genesis 9:18-29 -- Russian Slovo Zhizny

Сыновья Ноя

18 Сыновья Ноя, вышедшие из ковчега, были Сим, Хам и Иафет (Хам – отец Ханаана). 19 Эти трое – сыновья Ноя, и от них произошли люди, которые рассеялись по земле.

20 Ной принялся возделывать землю и сажать виноград[a]. 21 Однажды, выпив вина, он опьянел и лежал обнаженный в своем шатре. 22 Хам, отец Ханаана, увидел наготу своего отца и, выйдя[b], рассказал об этом братьям. 23 Но Сим и Иафет взяли одежду, положили ее себе на плечи и, пятясь, вошли и прикрыли наготу отца. Их лица были обращены в другую сторону, чтобы им не увидеть наготы отца.

24 Когда Ной протрезвел и узнал, что сделал с ним младший сын, 25 он сказал:

– Будь проклят Ханаан!
    Последним из рабов
будет он своим братьям.

26 Еще он сказал:

– Благословен Господь, Бог Сима!
    Да будет Ханаан рабом Сима.
 

27 Да расширит Бог земли Иафета[c],
    да живет Иафет в шатрах Сима,
и да будет Ханаан его рабом.

28 После потопа Ной жил триста пятьдесят лет. 29 Всего Ной прожил девятьсот пятьдесят лет и умер.

Footnotes:

  1. Бытие 9:20 Или: «был первым, кто посадил виноград».
  2. Бытие 9:22 Добавление одного из древних переводов.
  3. Бытие 9:27 На языке оригинала наблюдается игра слов: имя Иафет и форма глагола «он расширит» (иафет).
____

Epistle

Hebrews 6:1-12 – The Voice

So let’s push on toward a more perfect understanding and move beyond just the basic teachings of the Anointed One. There’s no reason to rehash the fundamentals: repenting from what you loved in your old dead lives, believing in God as our Creator and Redeemer, teaching about baptism,[a] setting aside those called to service through the ritual laying on of hands, the coming resurrection of those who have died, and God’s final judgment of all people for all time.  

No, we will move on toward perfection, if God wills it.

It’s clear that Jesus wanted His people to grow and mature in faith. Those who don’t move beyond the basics—tasting the gifts and powers of the new creation, partaking in the Spirit and the word of God—and then fall away bring shame to Jesus and produce nothing but briars and brambles. There is no stagnant life in the Kingdom. Either you grow and produce a blessing or you languish and descend into a curse. Be warned.

4-6 It is impossible to restore the changed heart of the one who has fallen from faith—who has already been enlightened, has tasted the gift of new life from God, has shared in the power of the Holy Spirit, and has known the goodness of God’s revelation and the powers of the coming age. If such a person falls away, it’s as though that one were crucifying the Son of God all over again and holding Him up to ridicule. You see, God blesses the ground that drinks of the rain and then produces a bountiful crop for those who cultivate it. But land that produces nothing but thorns and brambles? That land is worthless and in danger of being cursed, burned to the bare earth.

But listen, my friends—we don’t mean to discourage you completely with such talk. We are convinced that you are made for better things, the things of salvation, 10 because God is not unjust or unfair. He won’t overlook the work you have done or the love you have carried to each other in His name while doing His work, as you are still doing. 11 We want you all to continue working until the end so that you’ll realize the certainty that comes with hope 12 and not grow lazy. We want you to walk in the footsteps of the faithful who came before you, from whom you can learn to be steadfast in pursuing the promises of God.

Footnotes:

  1. 6:2 Literally, immersion, in a rite of initiation and purification

 * * * *

К Евреям 6:1-12

Hebrews 6:1-12 -- Russian Slovo Zhizny

Поэтому давайте перейдем от основ учения о Христе к тому, что предназначено для зрелых. Мы не станем опять обосновывать необходимость покаяться в делах, которые ведут к смерти, необходимость верить в Бога, 2 учение о крещениях[a], о возложении рук[b], о воскресении мертвых и вечном суде. 3 И мы сделаем это, если Бог позволит.

4 Потому что тех, кто уже был один раз просвещен, кто лично познал вкус небесного дара и стал сопричастен Святому Духу, 5 кто также лично познал вкус доброго Божьего слова и действие силы будущего века, 6 и после этого отпал от веры, – невозможно опять обновлять покаянием, потому что[c] они сами заново распинают Сына Божьего, предавая Его публичному позору.

7 Земля, которая пьет часто выпадающий на нее дождь и приносит урожай тому, кто ее обрабатывает, благословенна Богом. 8 А та, на которой растут лишь сорняки и колючки, ни на что не годна. Ей грозит проклятие, и концом ее будет сожжение.

9 Но, любимые, хоть мы и говорим так, мы уверены, что вы находитесь в лучшем состоянии и держитесь спасения[d]. 10 Бог не может быть несправедлив. Он не забудет ни ваших трудов, ни вашей любви к Нему, которую вы проявили и продолжаете проявлять, служа святым. 11 Однако мы хотим, чтобы каждый из вас проявлял такую же прилежность до конца, ради исполнения вашей надежды. 12 Мы хотим, чтобы вы не ленились, а подражали тем, кто своей верой и терпением наследует обещанное.

Footnotes:

  1. К Евреям 6:2 Крещения – или «обряды омовения». См., напр., Мк. 7:3-4; Лк. 3:3, 16-17; Ин. 2:6; Деян. 22:16.
  2. К Евреям 6:2 Возложение рук – ритуал возложения рук преследовал различные цели в зависимости от обстоятельств. Этот ритуал включал в себя и благословение другого лица, и передачу кому-либо власти, и наделение авторитетом, и исцеление, и др. (напр., Быт. 48:13-20; Мат. 19:13-15; Мк. 6:5; Деян. 6:6; 8:16-17; 13:3; 19:5-6; 28:8; 1 Тим. 5:22 (со сноской); 2 Тим. 1:6).
  3. К Евреям 6:6 Потому что – или «когда».
  4. К Евреям 6:9 Или: «вы на лучшем пути, на пути спасения»; или: «вы имеете благословения, которые сопровождают спасение».
____

Gospel

John 3:22-36 – The Voice

Jesus makes the point clear: stay connected to Him, and have no reason to fear. Jesus doesn’t mean that at the instant someone has faith, fear simply vanishes or only good things happen in that person’s life. In fact, the blessings that come with eternal life often have nothing to do with present or future circumstances, but they have everything to do with the individual’s connections to God and others. That is John’s message to his listeners. God came to earth embodied in flesh, and then He reached His greatest acclaim through a torturous death. If this is all true, then believers will find strength and beauty in places never imagined. Abiding in Jesus the Anointed is the good life, regardless of the external circumstances.

22 Not long after, Jesus and His disciples traveled to the Judean countryside where they could enjoy one another’s company and ritually cleanse new followers through baptism.[a]  

23-24 About the same time, Jesus’ cousin John—the wandering prophet who had not yet been imprisoned—was upriver at Aenon near Salim baptizing scores of people in the abundant waters there. 25 John’s activities raised questions about the nature of purification among his followers and a religious leader, 26 so they approached him with their questions.

John’s Followers: Teacher, the One who was with you earlier on the other side of the Jordan, the One whom you have been pointing to, is baptizing[b] the multitudes who are coming to Him.

John the Baptist: 27 Apart from the gifts that come from heaven, no one can receive anything at all. 28 I have said it many times, and you have heard me—I am not the Anointed One; I am the one who comes before Him. 29 If you are confused, consider this: the groom is the one with the bride. The best man takes his place close by and listens for him. When he hears the voice of the groom, he is swept up in the joy of the moment. So hear me. My joy could not be more complete.  

30 He, the groom, must take center stage; and I, the best man, must step to His side.

31 If someone comes from heaven above, he ranks above it all and speaks of heavenly things. If someone comes from earth, he speaks of earthly things. The One from the heavens is superior; He is over all. 32 He reveals the mysteries seen and realities heard of the heavens above, but no one below is listening. 33 Those who are listening and accept His witness to these truths have gone on record. They acknowledge the fact that God is true! 34 The One sent from God speaks with the very words of God and abounds with the very Spirit and essence of God. 35 The Father loves the Son and withholds nothing from Him. 36 Those who believe in the Son will bask in eternal life, but those who disobey the Son will never experience life. They will know only God’s lingering wrath.

Footnotes:

  1. 3:22 Literally, immerse, to show repentance
  2. 3:26 Literally, immersing, to show repentance
 * * * *

От Иоанна 3:22-36

John 3:22-36 -- Russian Slovo Zhizny

Иоанн Креститель говорит об Иисусе

После этого Иисус с учениками пошли в Иудею. Там Иисус пробыл с ними некоторое время и крестил. 23 Иоанн тоже продолжал крестить в Еноне, у Салима, потому что там было много воды. Люди постоянно приходили к нему креститься. 24 Это было еще до того, как Иоанна заключили в темницу. 25 Между некоторыми из учеников Иоанна и одним иудеем возник спор об обрядовом очищении. 26 Они пришли к Иоанну и сказали:

– Рабби, Тот Человек, Который был с тобой на другой стороне реки Иордана и о Котором ты свидетельствовал, сейчас Сам крестит, и все идут к Нему.

27 Иоанн ответил:

– Человек может делать только то, что ему поручено Небом. 28 Вы сами свидетели тому, что я говорил: «Я не Христос, но я послан, чтобы идти впереди Него».

29 Невеста принадлежит жениху. Друг же жениха стоит рядом, слушает его радостный голос и сам радуется его счастью. В этом и моя радость, и сейчас она исполнилась[a].  

30 Ему предстоит возвеличиваться, а мне умаляться.

31 Тот, Кто свыше приходит, выше всех, а земной принадлежит земле и говорит по-земному, но Пришедший с небес – превыше всех! 32 Он свидетельствует о том, что Он Сам видел и слышал, но никто не принимает Его свидетельства. 33 Тот же, кто принимает, свидетельствует, что Бог истинен. 34 Посланный Богом говорит слова Божьи, и Бог дает Ему Своего Духа без всякого ограничения. 35 Отец любит Сына и все отдал в Его руки. 36 Верующий в Сына имеет жизнь вечную, тот же, кто отвергает Сына, не увидит жизни, и его ожидает Божий гнев.

Footnotes:

  1. От Иоанна 3:29 Здесь в аллегорической форме Иоанн уподобляет Иисуса жениху, себя – его другу, а всех верующие в Иисуса – невесте.





No comments:

Post a Comment