Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Guests and a Trip to the Tretyakov April 21, 2010

Guests and a Trip to the Tretyakov April 21, 2010

Wishing You Joy Peace and Love . . . Now and Always!


Dear One –

I find it hard to believe that my grandson Noah is now thirteen years old, as of two days ago, and on April 25th my Dad will be eighty-three. It’s hard to be so far away for such important events such as birthdays, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day! Nevertheless, it’s good to know that there are a lot of good memories of those days, and I can look forward to being together in the future.

This past weekend there was a special event in the Seminary here. Some young people who are exploring their calls to ministry came to find out more about the academic programs and what it is like for the students who live here. With great joy, the students, and all who are involved in the Seminary, from the president on down worked hard hosting the guests. There were around ten visitors, and I was invited to participate in worship services and in the programs for them. The highlight of Saturday was a special music fest.

A friend who was a student here three years ago was one of the performers. When she saw me walk into the room she looked very surprised and happy to see me, as I was to see her. She beautifully played the guitar and sang two praise songs she had written. Then one of the current seminary students got up to perform some Christian rap (in Russian!) and then he sang a beautiful praise song in the mode of traditional Russian folk songs. Other students recited poetry and played their guitars. It was a joy-filled time when each person who shared his or her talents was enthusiastically applauded by the members of the audience.
Each performer was given a box of chocolates to thank them for performing. And most of them shared their chocolates with everyone when we went down the hall to the dining room afterwards to have some tea together.

Then on Sunday morning, the visitors had another informational presentation about the United Methodist Church. After that there was a worship service with communion. In the afternoon, two of the students took some of the visitors down to the Tretyakov Art Museum. They invited me to come along, so I was blessed to be with them and to see the wonderful Russian art work in the museum again for the first time in three years.
It was the kind of lovely early spring Sunday when people apparently wanted to get out and about. Couples and families with young children were on the Metro trains, strolling along the boulevards and passageways around the city. Compared to the hustle and bustle during the weekdays, people for the most part seemed relaxed.

There were nine of us, so one of the biggest challenges was getting all of us in and out the metro train cars before the doors closed again. The train cars were sometimes crowded, but whenever there was a vacant seat, one of the young gentlemen in our group made sure I was invited to sit down. And, just to show you that in Russia chivalry isn’t dead amongst strangers, there was one time on a Metro train that a man around my age got up and offered me his place!
A lot has been going on since Sunday, but I will wait until the next journal entry to tell you about it.
Blessings -- Kathy

Ask, Seek and Knock!
Then [Jesus] said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'
"Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs.
"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"
Luke 11:5-13


Kathleen Ware Harris  © 2012
kwharris777@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment